Today, a bit of an update on my slow fashion motion!
The Raw Silk Jacket
- The raw silk hound’s-tooth jacket is about 2/3 of the way to complete. I decided to do some hand tailoring, utilizing silk organza as my collar and lapel interfacing.
- Due to some quirk in my Burda pattern, the jacket front is 2 inches shorter than the side and back jacket pieces. This little blip called for some creative fixes—I am hand stitching and carefully matching, fabric in place. Design as you go…
- The remainder of this piece will be done by hand! I am in silk thread heaven.
Remake of a lace shirt
- About five years ago, I purchased a great ivory lace pullover which I wore for several years. I was never completely comfortable with the look of this piece, but saved it because of the beautiful lace.
- I recently pulled said garment from my stash and decide to convert it to a cardigan. This was very easy to do because the center front was seamed on a skinny selvedge. I simply clipped that apart. Using a running stitch, I applied a 3/8” latte toned satin ribbon to that edge and voila! I have my cardigan!
- I vowed to not shop until September. However…I discovered that several key wardrobe pieces were in tough shape. I had an opportunity to replace them, and so I did just that. Thus, a new summer robe (instead of a too-short sweater); some Bare Trap sandals bought on an incredible buy special to replace the pair that stick like gum to the soles of my feet; a black knit sundress, black crop loose fit pants and two tanks, as the hot weather came fast and furious and I needed relief!
- Cosmetics also came out to play! When you find THE perfect eye shadow, you just need to say yes, right? I love the aqua, blues, and teals that are abounding. I have had a lovely Estee Lauder aqua shadow for a few years now, but find its best application is as an eye liner smudge. It is simply too heavy on my lids. Just out: Bobbi Brown has her PEACE LOVE BEACH line which included a green, aqua and blue palette. I took a chance and ordered it online, based on the swatches they showed. I am not disappointed—the tones are soft with a bit of shimmer; they are sheer and flattering; they stay well! A winner.
And that, as they say, is that…